When to Go to Urgent Care for Parasites?
Parasites are common. Many people may be unaware they have an infection because they show few symptoms. Others may have serious medical conditions. There are many different kinds of parasites, and their symptoms may vary. Common parasite symptoms include diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, unexplained weight loss, fever, exhaustion, and rashes. If you think that you might have a parasite, contact us at Columbia Clinic Urgent Care, walk-in for a same-day appointment, or schedule a visit online. We have convenient locations to serve you.
Table of Contents:
Parasites are organisms that live on or inside another organism, called a host, to survive and reproduce. While many people can have a parasitic infection without even knowing it, some cases can lead to severe symptoms that require medical attention in order to tend to.
If you suspect that you have a parasitic infection, it’s extremely important to know when to visit urgent care. Indications include:
– Persistent and severe symptoms. If you have a high fever, severe diarrhea, vomiting, abdominal pain, bloating, and cramping, it may be a sign of a severe parasitic infection that requires immediate medical attention.
– Recent travel to high-risk areas. If you’ve recently traveled to an area known for high-risk parasitic infections, such as Africa, Southeast Asia, or Latin America, you should be vigilant and seek medical attention immediately if you begin to show symptoms.
– Compromised immune system. If you have a weakened immune system due to an underlying condition, such as HIV/AIDS, cancer, or organ transplant, you’re at higher risk of parasitic infections, and the symptoms can be severe.
– Recurring infections. If you’ve had parasitic infections in the past and are experiencing a recurrence of symptoms, it’s important to visit urgent care as soon as possible.
The sensations experienced during a parasite infection will vary from person to person depending on the type of parasite involved, its location, and the overall health of the affected individual. This includes:
– Discomfort and irritation. Many parasite infections lead to uncomfortable symptoms like itching, pain, or a sensation of crawling under the skin.
– Fatigue and weakness. Parasites can sap the body’s resources, leading to persistent fatigue, weakness, and a general decline in overall energy levels.
– Changes in appetite and weight. Some parasite infections can cause alterations in appetite and disrupt the digestive system, leading to weight loss or gain.
Seeking medical attention when suspecting a parasitic infection is crucial, as an accurate diagnosis and early treatment are vital for a speedy recovery.
Parasitic infections often don’t cause any symptoms in the initial stages, which can make them difficult to diagnose. However, as the infection progresses and the parasite reproduces, symptoms start to appear.
The specific symptoms of a parasitic infection can vary depending on the type of parasite and the part of the body it infects. However, in general, the following symptoms are common among different parasitic infections:
– Abdominal pain
– Gastrointestinal issues
– Muscle and joint pain
– Skin irritation
– Vision problems
– Weight loss
To avoid health risks, it’s important to check yourself over for parasites regularly. You can do this by:
Looking for the signs. Common symptoms of a parasitic infection include diarrhea, bloating, gas, fatigue, weight loss, and itching around the anus. If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms, it’s important to get checked for parasites by a qualified healthcare provider.
Taking a parasite test. If you suspect that you have a parasitic infection, you can take a parasite test to confirm its presence. Various kits are now available that allow you to take a stool sample and send it to a lab for analysis and your healthcare provider can order this test for you.
Seeking medical help. If you suspect that you have a parasitic infection, seek medical help immediately. Your healthcare provider can diagnose the infection and prescribe treatment that will kill the parasites, which often includes involve taking medication orally or applying a topical ointment.
If you’re concerned that you may have contracted a parasite, contact us at Columbia Clinic Urgent Care, walk in for a same day visit, or schedule an appointment online at your earliest convenience. Our superb medical team can provide the high-level care that you need to start feeling better as soon as possible. We serve patients from Portland OR, PDX, Happy Valley OR, Tigard OR, Milwaukie OR, Cedar Hills OR, Cedar Mill OR, Lake Oswego OR, Oak Grove OR, Vancouver WA, Aloha OR, Minnehaha WA, Gladstone OR, Tualatin OR, West Linn OR, Fairview OR, Oregon City OR.